- Created: 23 March 2017 23 March 2017
Easter Holiday Family Activity at Nicholaston House
Saturday, 22nd April 2017 between 11am and 3pm
In 2017 the Quiet Garden Movement celebrates 25 years of sharing Quiet Gardens. Nicholaston House is a member of the Quiet Garden Movement and also one of the few places in Wales with a wild bird garden, having equipment for viewing from the conservatory. It includes a prayer walk and is usually open each day from April to October, from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
This special official opening of the garden for 2017 will mark the 25th Anniversary of the Quiet Garden Movement as well as provide public access to the Nicholaston House garden and grounds.
Children, from the local area are being invited to create a garden on a plate with the theme being a ‘quiet garden’. Children staying at the House during the weekend with their family are also welcome to join in with the competition. Garden Plates need to be brought to Nicholaston House for judging on Saturday, 22 April 2017 by 12 noon. The winners will be announced and awards presented as part of the opening ceremony at 1pm There are three age categories and prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Every entrant will receive a special certificate of entry marking the special occasion.
- Explore the Quiet Garden with guided walks around the garden with our volunteer gardeners;
- Enjoy stunning views over Oxwich bay from many quite seating areas around the garden;
- Listen to and see birds and other local wildlife in and around the garden;
- Enjoy homemade refreshments while relaxing in the conservatory or patio area;
- Plants and other items available to purchase;
- Enter the 'Garden on a Plate' competition (details below);
- Find out more about Nicholaston House and its work;
- Free car parking;
- Weekend B&B available: 2017-04-21 | 21 - 23 April 2017 | Quiet Garden 'Springtime Opening' B&B Weekend
Garden on a Plate - Competition Guidelines
A standard dinner plate size should be used (max. 15”)
Consisting of mixed craft media to include real soil, sand, grass, plant and/or fresh flower matter etc.
Entries should be presented between 11am - 12 noon on Saturday, 22nd April 2017 at Nicholaston House for judging with a small label attached with the entrant’s name and age.
The age categories are:
- 4-6 years
- 7-11 years
- 12-16 years
5. The competition theme is ‘Quiet Garden’
6. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each age category
7. Special participant certificates for all
8. The judge’s decision is final
9. There is no cash alternative for prizes
10. Parents/guardians of child entrants agree for pictures of the garden plates and the award ceremony to be used for marketing and publicity purposes, both in print and online
Garden on a Plate Ideas
Download Information Leaflet
Click on the image below to download the PDF information leaflet about this event.